Consider a major lighting upgrade for your home or business? Before rushing out to pick fixtures based on looks alone, consider the type of bulb generating the illumination you need. Picking a fixture, or many fixtures, that use light emitting diodes (LEDs) can improve your life in four distinct ways.
LEDs offer the most light output in exchange for the amount of electricity they use. A fixture based around LEDs will convert 80% of electricity into useful light, while traditional bulbs like incandescent models only have a conversion rate of about 20%. This means you can use a bulb drawing a much lower wattage while still getting enough light, saving money on a monthly basis.
Reduced Heat Output
So if a traditional light fixture is only using 20% of the electricity it draws to make light, where does the other 80% go? All that energy ends up becoming heat, which is helpful in the winter but quite uncomfortable during the summer. If you have a lot of light fixtures, the heat adds up and can greatly inflate what you spend for air conditioning and other forms of cooling. For sensitive applications where excess heat could damage equipment, LED light fixtures are the best option due to their cooler operation.
Using less electricity reduces wear and tear inside each LED. This translates into a longer lifespan for each fixture or bulb, resulting in savings due to fewer replacements and less maintenance. Even when you're spending more on the fixtures upfront, you'll save money in the long run.
Don't forget about the compact size of LED clusters. Each LED is so tiny it's not bright enough, but packing them together into small bundles produces plenty of light. These clusters are still smaller than bulky incandescent or halogen bulbs.